Saturday, July 23, 2005

Where did I leave off…


Ahh yes, Cafes… Well, after we left the cyber pub yesterday following my previous post we stopped in on a local artist’s studio. He had a very unique style and the more you looked at it the more it grew on you. We started talking with him, he had broken English, but better English than a lot of French people. Well we got to talking and it turns out people all over the world don’t like Californians. I ended up leaving the shop critiqued on my English skills, I didn’t even attempt French!… a French man thought that my English was lacking, I’ve decided to take up a vow of silence- no more language of any kind because obviously I can’t speak period! But really, I left that shop quite perturbed. Although now, reliving that moment with the girls who were with me is actually really funny. Now that’s what you call a french man!....

Over the past week we have visited many different places here in Normandy outside of Honfleur. We visted Mont Saint Michel, an absolutely breathtaking opportunity. As our buss pulled up to the region we could see the granet stone standing alone surrounded by nothing but expanses of wet sand and in the distance the sea awaiting its chance to return to the base of the stone at high tide.

We also visited Claude Monet’s Garden on Thursday and let me tell you, Monet lacked nothing when it came to inspiration. I saw his gardens, his famous water lilies, walked over the very bridges that are featured in so many of his masterpieces. Although the walkways were filled with tourists, it was hard not to find the gardens serine and peaceful. After we finished at the gardens (I don’t think we had enough time), we headed down to Rouen. This was the place where Joan of Arc was burned alive after being accused of being a witch. We walked the streets trying to find it, finally, after a few wrong turns because of bad directions by Professor Davis… “Yea, it’s a strait shot, just walk strait that way, you will run right into it!”- YA RIGHT! … we finally made it to the spot. It was nothing too special, but it was history none the less. A history that as Americans, we can only read about. For once I found myself in the middle of a square teeming with centuries and centuries of stories that were all seen by the same stones that I stood on.

This morning was the Market in Honfleur. I spent far too much money, yet the things I bought were clearly european, and i'm so excited for them! (sorry daddy!, hehehe) Well, I am off to enjoy whats left of my Saturday!

--Karen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home