Tuesday, September 13, 2005

From the inside looking out...

I have been around Lugano this past week, not doing anything of consequence, but doing everything we could think of. Yet, it is in this laid back week that I was reminded of who I am. I am not someone who sees value in looking soly to ourselves to define worth. I am not someone who believes in screaming to the world the privileges of my life. I am not someone who understands even a 1/10 of what goes on around me or the people that surround me either. I am not someone who can survive on my own... I am someone who survives by those I love, those my heart aches for. I am someone who finds value in the smallest and most insignificant places. I am someone who enjoys knowing I know nothing, it makes me curious... Just some thoughts from Lugano, It has been an interesting experience being far from home, yet in a place that is well... more than I am used to and I believe that I have so much already at home. Just as going across the border into Mexico and seeing the poverty in this world does things to your heart, so does seeing the extreme wealth that we as westerners are blessed with. It moves one to look inside looking for the important stuff.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen--It seems to me that the longer you are away from home the deeper and deeper your thoughts become! Did I detect just a tiny bit of homesickness? I hope so for that too is a learning experience! In a couple of weeks your parents will be with you! Know that I'm following and enjoying your every word. Take care. Love, your Italian Nana

September 13, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Karen,

The pictures are beautiful! I just had the chance to read your blog and really enjoyed it. I know it will be wonderful to see familiar faces in a few weeks! We are thinking of you:)
Tim and I are finally together on the East Coast. The board & staff meetings are over and it has been approved for us to go to the DR. We will start setting up our home-stay and hope to leave for the DR around October 20th. After some R&R we will begin our "vacation" to see friends in Princeton, NY, and DC.
It was great to hear your voice a few weeks ago and hope we can connect again (with Tim) over the next few weeks.

Love you Karen!
Leah

September 18, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen.....I love following your adventures. You write exactly how you talk!!!! I can picture you in these places and smile at your words describing them.

Thanks for the pictures.

Your mom is bringing you a big hug.....have fun with your parents.

It is also fun to read Nana's notes.....Hi Nana!!!!!!

I sent a package for your parents to you and it should arrive Saturday or Monday.

Sending love across the ocean,
Sue

September 28, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Karen---Where are you? Each day I sign on and there is nothing! I'm sure you are really studying hard and playing just as hard and have no time to let those of us at home in on your frustrations and fun but I miss hearing about it. Fall has arrived--it was 34 this AM.
Hi to your Mom and Dad. Love to you! Nana

PS--Hi Sue!

September 29, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home