Oh so much to say...

I apologize to all my faithful readers, first and foremost Nana, for my lack of posts in these weeks. I would like to say that it was because I was working far to hard and having far too much fun… while in a sense this is true, it has been a full three weeks of longing to be home. The coming of the beginning of SPU’s academic term made me long to be in the Northwest. It is a strange thing, longing to be home yet feeling the need to cut oneself off from that which you long for. And now, after far to long of seclusion, my heart has turned a corner I am greatful to have seen. I am so blessed to be here... I am so blessed to see this place with my own two eyes... to experince this place with my whole heart...
Here is a brief, but hopefully fun update on my last three weeks!... enjoy!
Three weekends ago Jeff and I had planned to head down to Cinque Terra. Yet, because of a lack of lodging in the 5 beach towns we headed to another coast for the weekend: Nice, France. It was fantastic to get back to France! Yes, the French people were there, but so was the country. We ended meeting up with Sarah and Will (our Australian friends) as well as Natalie and Rebecca who had planned their Nice trip earlier. We had a great time relaxing on the Mediterranean beaches, walking through Nice’s huge flower and fruit market, eating great French food, and meeting some interesting people along the way.


Two weekends ago, once again, my original plans of a Parisian rendezvous sadly fell through the cracks. And I was left with the challenge of filling a weekend. Sarah, Will, Kirsten, and Jen were all headed out to St. Moritz for Saturday. They had rented a car, and had one more spot which they so kindly asked me to fill. And so with one of the smallest cars ever made and 5 college students crammed in, we headed up and over the Alps to this shi-shi ski village. It was great day. There wasn’t too much to see, but that gave us plenty of time to saunter around the lake and take in the massive mountains surrounding us. We tried some Swiss German pastries and café early in the day, and then with the help of our resident German (Kirsten) we had traditional Swiss German potato and cheese meal. It was and interactive meal, and so we had a good time learning the ways the Swiss eat. Will and Sarah stayed behind because they were taking the glacier express home the next day, so Kirsten, Jen and I drove the car home. We stopped on the top of one of the mountains at a rest stop stepped out of the car and witnessed one of the most breathtaking things I have ever seen… STARS… they actually exist! Millions of them everywhere! I could have stayed there all night and not have looked at the same star twice and have been completely entertained. I hopped in the drivers seat and drove us the rest of the way back to Lugano… Yes, I drove through Europe and didn’t kill myself and those in my care! It was fun… European stick is a blast, the US car makers need to take a hint! The next day, I took myself all the way to Zurich on my own. It was a relaxing time to walk the city and see things at my own pace. Because it was Sunday, not much was open, but there was a huge festival- I still don’t know what it was for, but it was awesome to walk around and be in the midst of this different population. I loved Zurich and have plans already to go back to see more of it… it’s the Paris of Switzerland. A beautiful lakeside city. I got my Starbucks fix at one of the many Starbucks that dot the city and then headed home… a great makeshift weekend…





And so we come to this past weekend… My parents came on Thursday! A welcome break from unfamiliarity. They are seeing this place with fresh and new eyes. Something that I am glad to have the opportunity to witness. They have been having a great time on their first European adventure. This weekend I followed my parents to Italy. We started in Turino where we saw the Shroud of Turin and the neglected Olympic preparations. I loved Turin, I am definitely going back as soon as I return to Europe…Anyone interested?. We had dinner at this small restaurant where I had the opportunity to use my Italian. I feel much more confident in the small amount of Italian that I know after trying to navigate my parents and I through Italy this weekend. While we were in the Turin area we headed out to a small town called Caselle. This is the place where we have the best suspicions of our Rossi origins. We wandered around this sleepy town for awhile taking pictures at some of the town sites. As we were walking down one of the streets we saw it, the connection!… there was a Murphy’s Irish Stout sign on the side of the street… it was obviously the connection that proves our family ties!…

After Turin we went to Genova for the night and the next morning headed down to Cinqua Terra… Cinqua Terra is also on my list to revisit and hike through when I get back to this area. I had fascinating lecture after lecture of the formation of rocks and coastline by the traveling professor Murphy. I keep telling my dad he needs to teach… someone needs to talk him into it, his passion makes even rocks interesting! Yesterday we were in Florance… we saw the Ufitzi, the Museo di Science, and the Duomo… Florance was busy, but so worth it… My parents were so much fun to travel with, I’ve loved it!




And so it brings me to now, sitting here writing all of this when I actually should be studying, but knowing that through this I get to share with all of you that I love the things that I love. Europe is finding a special place in my heart, and the longer I am here the more I can appreciate things from home and those things right in front of me. I hope this superficial retelling of my doings over the past few weeks has helped catch you up. I promise such a span of time will not pass until my next update… I miss you all so much wishing to hear from you as well! Ciao!!!


3 Comments:
Thanks Karen! Having talked to you and now reading what you have been doing and feeling I feel like you are back in my life! Glad you got over the homesick thing. Now it is past you will never have to go through it again--or at least you have learned to deal with it. That little old lady is indeed smaller than I! There's something about all people from that region -we resemble one another! Get back to those studies, enjoy the time you have left with your parents and know that you are all in my heart and prayers! Love, Nana
Hi Karen,
Aunt Mary Therese here. I finally got to read your site and I am loving it! Of Course your father should teach.. WE all have too.. It is Nana Rossi's curse ( really a blessing though) for Mom and Aunt Felicia not having become teachers. Your Photos are Awesome! I hope you don't mind that I used one of the Mountain ones for a PP background for a high school class I taught this week.( proper credit was given)
Second comment I hit something and away it went.. I will figure it out before you come Stateside. Also Thanks for posting the pic you were not too, It is lovely. Seeing all this stuff and reading all your thought and adventures makes me really sad that you grew up outside of our lives. Just so you know. I think Your Special .. and Cool too! Love mt
Post a Comment
<< Home